Girls’ basketball snatches second win of season

Girls basketball beat Bishop Montgomery 62-55 today in the second game of the Redondo tournament, marking their second win in a row of the season.

Guard Ella Price ’20 was pleased with the team’s performance against Bishop Montgomery.

“It was a great win,” Price said. “We stayed together and made sure to clean up the mistakes in the third and fourth quarter.”

The Wolverines fell behind early in the first quarter, trailing 16-17 but were able to pull ahead 35-25 at halftime behind a big performance from forward Kiki Iriafen ’21 after she scored 21 points against El Camino Real on Tuesday. Guard Genesis Aire ’19 said she felt good about the win.

“I feel like we worked really hard through the duration of the game,” Aire said. “After half time, we struggled a bit because they went on a run but we hustled through it and got the [win].”

Despite the win, guard Ashlee Wong ’18 said the team needs to improve with their communication on defense but was still happy with their effort.

“Our press definitely helped us gain a nine point lead in the first half which helped us gain momentum,” Wong said.

The Wolverines are scheduled to play their next game against Serra High School on Friday in the Redondo tournament.

‪Girls Basketball: @HWgirlshoops beats Bishop Montgomery 62-55 in Game 2 of the Redondo Union Tournament. @hwgirlshoops ???‬

A post shared by Harvard-Westlake Athletics (@hwathletics) on