Musicians combine for Major Works Concert

Performing arts teacher Mark Hilt conducts the combined Symphony orchestra and choirs as they perform “Alles Was Ihr Tut."

The Symphony orchestra, Bel Canto, Wolverine Chorus and Chamber Singers combined to perform “Alles Was Ihr Tut” Friday night, in their biennial concert, A Concert of Major Works, at the First Presbyterian Church in Santa Monica.

The concert was conducted by performing arts teacher Mark Hilt and Rodger Guerrero and accompanist Sara Shakliyan.

The program continued with “Canticle” sung by combined choirs featuring a clarinet solo by Tom Fuller ’15, “Blue Light” played by a percussion quartet, “De Profundis” sung by combined choirs, “Wheat Dance from Estancia” and “The Beautiful Melusina” played by the Symphony orchestra and concluded with “Requiem”, performed by the combine orchestra and singers.

“It was a great concert, one of the best that I have played in at Harvard-Westlake,” Sam Jaebok Lee ’16 said. “Playing with the choir was an eye-opening experience that I will never forget.”

The concert ended at 9 p.m. and performers attended a reception on the patio of the church where they were served food and drinks.

“Being part of the concert was great, especially since this one was filled with instrumental music, not just choral,” Michael Edwards ’16 said. “It gave me an opportunity to hear our orchestra in many different contexts and I was impressed by how versatile they were.”