Students run marathon in extreme heat

Students ran through extreme heat conditions in the 26.2-mile Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday, March 15.

To avoid high temperatures, the marathon’s start time was pushed back 30 minutes, beginning at 6:55 a.m.

“Extreme heat poses a serious threat to runners” marathon trainer James Van said. “Participants need to run at a slower pace and drink a ton of water.”

Temperatures reached 75 degrees at the start of the race at Dodger Stadium and 87 degrees at the finish line in Santa Monica.

Students participated in the marathon despite the harsh conditions.

“Running the marathon is exhausting physically, and it is definitely hard to walk for several days afterwards,” Daphna Fischel ’15 said. “Mentally it is rewarding because it is incredible to know that you can truly push yourself to your limits.”

Fischel finished with a time of six hours and eight minutes.

David Woldenberg ’15 also ran in the marathon and finished the race in five hours and 18 minutes.

“The experience was very rewarding afterward, but while I was running, I just wanted to get to the finish line,” Woldenberg said. “I definitely plan on running again.”

Talia Wazana ’15 and Danielle Stolz ’15 participated in the marathon for the first time this year but did not prepare as much.

“We just went out to have the experience, and it was a cool way to see the city,” Wazana said. “The heat was difficult to contend with, but we just tried to take it easy and keep our bodies going.”

Wazana and Stolz finished the race in five hours and 19 minutes.