Carroll to become 7th grade dean

Although he will miss the competition and measureable progress of being a swim coach, Carroll said he is excited about becoming a dean next year.

“I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to take [the incoming seventh graders] and help them become a part of our culture – but at the same time help manage some of the expectations they might have,” Carroll said.

Carroll will finish coaching this season of high school swimming and diving before he becomes a dean. A search for his replacement will begin immediately.

Carroll is helping to find his replacement for next year. He is looking for someone who will “try to become as involved in the school as possible. That’s the way to form as good relationships with your swimmers as possible,” he said.

After swimming at Yale, Carroll earned a doctorate in education from the University of Pennsylvania. He loves working with kids, he said.

Although next year he won’t be able to follow his swimmers on a daily basis, Carroll will continue to track the progress of the swimmers he coached, Carroll said.

“I am very proud of my time as the swim program head, and I look forward to staying involved with all things athletic at Harvard-Westlake,” Carroll said.

Carroll will pair with Kate Benton as seventh grade deans.

Benton will also serve as Middle School Dean Department Chair. Seventh grade Dean Colby Plath will pair with Betsy Ilg as ninth grade deans.