Students will sing a Lucky Riff

For the first time in over ten years, the Upper School theater department will present an off-Broadway musical, “Lucky Stiff.”

“Lucky Stiff” is a comedic murder mystery mixed with elements of romanticism, which was inspired by the song “The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo” by Michael Butterworth. “Lucky Stiff” follows a man who takes his deceased uncle’s body on vacation in an attempt to pass him off as alive so he can inherit his money.

“Lucky Stiff” received the Helen Hayes Award in and the Richard Rodgers Award identifying outstanding musicals run by non-profit theaters in New York City.

“Lucky Stiff” was written by Tony award winning writers Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. Performing arts teacher and director Michele Spears chose “Lucky Stiff” so students could have an opportunity to perform in a different type of musical than usual, she said.

“One thing that attracted me to this show was that it’s a farce, so the style of performance is a style we have rarely done, and certainly not in the last ten years, so we thought it was a nice variation,” Spears said.