Field hockey improves to 6-0

Center mid Rachel Brown ’20 attacks the goal in a 2-0 win against Edison on Sept. 6. The win against Edison was the team’s third shutout of the season. Photo credit: Luke Casola/Chronicle

Field hockey defeated Fountain Valley 9-0, marking the team’s sixth straight win of the season and fourth shutout of the season. Before this game, the team shutout Marina 9-0 on Aug. 28, Westminster 10-0 on Aug. 31 and Edison 2-0 on Sept. 6.

Forward Sydney Pizer ’19 praised the team’s success in the game today.

“In the second half we really improved our sideline play and taking the ball quickly for our free hits,” Pizer said. “Overall, we were aggressive and pressured the ball well.”

The team is currently undefeated with an overall record of 6-0 after beating Newport Harbor 3-2 on Sept. 12. The Wolverines beat Newport Harbor 3-1 in the CIF Championship game last season to complete their undefeated 20-0 season.

“Being undefeated is very exciting but of course we don’t want to get too relaxed,” center mid Rachel Brown ’20 said. “We are about to enter league play so we continue to push ourselves at every practice.”

Last season, field hockey played Fountain Valley twice, winning 5-0 in the first matchup and 8-1 in the second matchup, which was in the first round of the CIF Playoffs .

The Wolverines are scheduled to play Thousands Oaks in the first league game of the season on Wednesday. Last year, the Wolverines finished 2-0 against Thousands Oaks shutting out the Lancers in both matchups.

“We would like to continue our winning tradition,” Brown said.