Girls’ water polo looks for success after move to CIF Open Division

+Taylor+LaCour+%E2%80%9919+passes+the+ball+in+a+game+against+Bishop+Alemany+High+School+on+Feb.+7+last+season.+Photo+Credit%3A+Ryan+Albert%2FChronicle+
Taylor LaCour ’19 passes the ball in a game against Bishop Alemany High School on Feb. 7 last season. Photo Credit: Ryan Albert/Chronicle

The girls’ water polo team looks toward a strong inaugural season in Open Division coming off of a fruitful run last season.

The team saw its effort in the off season lead to more wins last season, Abby Wiesenthal ’20 said. They were undefeated in league play, and, prior to the playoffs, its only regular season losses

The team saw its hard work in the off season pay off this year first win but wants the team to remain focused for the upcoming season.

“I think the first game went great,” LaCour said, “An 18-5 win is always a huge confidence booster, but we still need to keep our heads down and grind since it was only [one of] our first games.”

This year, the team is moving up from Division III into the more competitive open division.

“This year, I hope that we are able to upset some really good teams,” LaCour said, “It’s going to be easy for us to become discouraged or nervous facing the top teams, but I hope the team can pull through and not let our nerves hold us back.”

The team is almost identical to last season’s Division III runner-up squad. Huntington Beach High School next on Dec. 10, a team they have not played since at least 2009.