Boys’ tennis wins third consecutive match

Amaan Irfan ’21 returns a serve in his doubles match with teammate Avi Carson ’22. The squad beat St. Francis 13-5 Tuesday.

Boys’ Tennis called up junior varsity and bench players in a decisive 16-2 win against Notre Dame High School today, improving to 3-1 overall and 3-0 in the Mission League.

Due to the absence of players, the team has fallen back on its bench and junior varsity reserves Kai McGrath ’21 said. McGrath was called up from junior varsity the morning of the match and won both his doubles and singles match.

Several players said they believe that despite the team’s lack of varsity experience today, the substitutions and reserve players helped to secure the win. 

“The goal is to get a lot of experience especially for the bench and JV guys,” Amaan Irfan ’21 said.  “[Notre Dame] was not great but it’s still a match we got to play and improve in.”

The current roster relies on less experienced players, so the team emphasizes mental preparation due to the short turnaround times between back-to-back daily matches Avi Carson ’22 said.

“The goals today were just to get better and get the job done in our matches,” Carson said.  “Going forward we need to stay solid and step up with a next man up mentality. Especially with all the people out with sickness and injuries.”