Walch helms Performing Arts, Chobanu handles producer duties

Having served as the interim performing arts department chair after Dan Fishbach ’94 resigned last year, Ted Walch’s position was made official in early July.

In addition to his teaching duties, Walch will be in charge of coordinating the 15-member performing arts department that includes instrumental music, jazz, chorus, dance, costuming, theater, technical theater and the Scene Monkeys.

Walch is both Fishbach’s successor and predecessor, having served as department chair before him.

“My duties will be somewhat different [this time] because my earlier time spent doing this job has taught me the value of sharing as many duties [as possible] involved in the running of the department with other members of the department,” Walch said.

Thus, Walch’s main goals this year are “delegating and developing a strong collegiality among all members of the department.

“We don’t mix regularly, and we sometimes represent different interests.”

One change that the department has made is the hiring of Ruth Chobanu as producer of the performing arts department.

Chobanu, who previously worked in the business office, will be responsible for many of the paperwork chores of running productions that previous department chairs handled, and will run the box office.

She will also serve as a mentor to students interested in the business side of performing arts.

Michele Spears, who has co-directed musicals and cabarets as well as mentored the Scene Monkeys, will be teaching The Actor and the Stage, a class previously taught by Fishbach.