Girls’ volleyball eyes elusive CIF championship

After coming within two points of a CIF Division III championship last year, the girls’ volleyball team is determined to win the championship that barely eluded them before.
During June, many members of the team competed on various club teams that played in the biggest national girls’ volleyball tournament in Reno.

A brutal hell week began for the girls’ volleyball team the first week of August. The week consisted of seven days and 56 hours of practice.

After hell week, the team had no time to recover as one day later they flew to Hawaii to compete in a national high school tournament.

All the hard work seemed to pay off as the team finished in third place out of 32 teams.
The Wolverines’ burning desire combined with talent and experience makes the team a top contender for a CIF championship despite moving up from Division III to division I.
“We want to play the best we can as a team, and hopefully, our best leads us to a championship,” Bianca Wilson ’07 said.

After a second place finish in the Mission League last year, the girls’ don’t expect league to be as challenging as last year. In the previous campaign, the Wolverines steamrolled all of its competitiors except for Flintridge SH.

Only two players from last year’s team graduated, and the team returns all six of its starters from the previous year.

A huge addition to the team will be Audrey Eichler ’07 who was forced to sit out the previous campaign after transferring from Marymount.

Eichler has already verbally committed to play for Boston College next year.

Last year’s co-captain Kaitlin Segal ’07 has also verbally committed to play for Bucknell next year.

Segal along with Kasey Kanoff ’08 and Brittany Julian ’07 form a trio that will rotate time as outside hitters.

Rounding out the starting lineup are opposite Lauren Newhouse ’07 and Katherine Sebastian ’08.

Alexa Bagnard ’08 also provides great depth off the bench as she did an excellent job filling in for an injured Newhouse in last year’s playoffs.