Eight students present at first-ever Photoville Los Angeles

Photography student panelists deliver speeches about the meaning of their work at the first-ever Photoville Los Angeles exhibit. Credit: Colin Yuan ’22

Alongside industry professional and local peers, eight students presented their photography collections at the first-ever Photoville Los Angeles May 2 at the Annenberg Space for Photography.

Photoville is a free exhibition that aims to provide a unique opportunity for individuals to engage with a diverse audience by creating a physical platform for photographers to come together, according the organization’s website. Though held annually in New York since 2012, Photoville established its first Los Angeles location this year.

“[The experience] was great,” photography student and panelist Penelope Juarez ’21 said. “I saw some artists that I have been following for a long time. So, to see their work more up close and personal was really fun. We also got to interact with people from other schools and learn about their projects.”

At the exhibition, professional photographers and local students displayed their pictures in individual galleries. The galleries also featured photo cubes, contemporary art pieces and installations created with shipping containers.

After viewing the professionals’ collections, students presented their own work as part of a panel.  During their speeches, students explained the meaning behind their photos and described their artistic processes.

Aperture Foundation teaching artist, author and documentary photographer Alice Proujansky and visual arts teacher Joe Medina also explained how the students’ projects focused on a sense of place and community.

Students have worked on their collections over the course of the past year.  During this time, Proujansky helped guide the students by creating mind maps, which are similar to flow charts for photos, Juarez said.

Juarez said that the professionals who attended the event were impressed with students’ photography collections.

“People from other panels came to talk to us after the presentation,” Juarez said. “They had presented before and talked to us about how they enjoyed our projects.”