Construction to disrupt Coldwater parking

Construction on Coldwater Canyon will eliminate about 30 parking spaces in front of the school for at least six months in 2008.

The Department of Water and Power plans to start the next phase of the construction of a new 60-inch wide water main under Coldwater Canyon from January 2008 until July 2008, obstructing both entrances to the school.

Head of Campus Jim DeMatte and Head of Security Kevin Giberson met with two representatives from DWP on Oct. 3. They discussed solutions to the problem of construction in front of school entrances, which will now take place from June 15 to Aug. 15 with metal plates over the trenches to allow access.

DeMatte and Giberson are also seeking out parking at businesses on Ventura Boulevard.

A shuttle system to and from school in the mornings and afternoons will be implemented.

“We’re really going to push busing,” DeMatte said. “This whole thing is going to be tough.”

There is the possibility of construction being pushed back a year to January 2009, Design Manager Divya Agrawalla said. This phase, Unit Five of the City Trunk Line South, will span from Halkirk Avenue to St. Michael’s Church down Coldwater.

Traffic will continue in both directions because the parking lane on the east side of the street will become the new north-bound lane. The goal of the project is to replace the current water main which was constructed in 1914.

DeMatte and Giberson were first notified about the project two years ago when DWP proposed building underneath Ted Slavin field, which was not permitted.

“We’re going to be able to review through their [DWP] contract,” DeMatte said. “That’s a huge thing. We’re also going to be written into the contract. When a sub doesn’t finish on time, they get fined per day, so we’re going to make sure that’s enforced.”

An inspector will be on call 24 hours a day to solve any problems at the school during construction, Agrawalla said.

The project is divided into six units, and currently, construction is underway on Unit One, between Sherman Way and Roscoe Boulevard. Because that phase of the project has taken longer than one year, Giberson believes that realistically Unit Five will also.