Girls’ Volleyball falls to Long Beach Poly in the home-opener

Middle blocker Grace Thrower ’23 serves during the second set in the loss to Long Beach Poly today. Credit: Jaidev Pant/Chronicle.

The Girls’ Volleyball team lost 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-14) to Long Beach Poly High School today, bringing them to an overall record of 8-6. 

In the first set, the Wolverines almost took the lead, but the Jackrabbits eventually pulled away in the second half of the set. 

The Wolverines struggled at the start of the second set and found themselves down 18-8. After, the squad rallied, eventually closing in on the deficit and making it 19-17. Opposite Eva Lekovic ’21 said the crowd played a large role in the team’s comeback during the second set.

“The crowd helped us by giving us energy and helped the team stay positive and move on from our mistakes because we wanted to succeed [in front of our fans],” Lekovic said.

Despite the comeback, Long Beach Poly rallied in the end, winning the second set by a score of 25-21. In the final set, it was tied 10-10, but the Wolverines were unable to keep up with the Jackrabbits and were outscored 15-4 the rest of the way. 

The team will host Oakwood High School on Aug. 29 in a non-league match. Lekovic says the team will focus on the details throughout the season in order to bring the team to the next level.

“I think moving forward we just need to focus on staying consistent with the little things because we were right there with them and could’ve pulled ahead if we’d just executed our side a little bit better,” Lekovic said.