Water Polo finishes first at Elite Eight Tournament

Attacker Ethan Shipman ’20 lunges forward in a 16-11 win against Bishops High School on Oct 4. Credit: Sandra Koretz/Chronicle

The boys’ water polo team placed first at the S&R Elite Eight Water Polo Tournament, winning every match and bringing the team’s overall record to 17-0. 

The squad opened the tournament with a 14-9 win against Cathedral High School on Oct. 3. The team then faced Miramonte High School on Oct 4. After outscoring the Matadors 8-2 in the first half, the Wolverines went on to win the match by a score of 15-6. Following its second win in pool play, the team defeated Bishops High School 16-11, to finish first in pool play. 

Bracket Play 

Goalkeeper Asher Schwartz ’21 described the squad’s expectations heading into the semi-finals. 

“The end goal of course is to win the tourney,” Schwartz said. “The biggest emphasis is on doing it the right way, and proving to everyone as well as ourselves that we are the best team, especially in light of Newport being ranked ahead of us.”

In bracket play, the squad faced Mission League rivals Loyola High School in the semi-finals Oct 5. After trailing in the first quarter, the Wolverines shut out the Cubs in the second quarter to win the match by a score of 9-8. 

Championship 

In the finals, the team faced a rematch against rival Newport Harbor High School, who they defeated in the championship game of the South Coast Tournament by a score of 11-7 Sept 21. The Wolverines began strong, outscoring the Sailors 5-2 in the first half. The squad went on to win the match by a score of 8-7.

Attacker Shay Gillearn ’21 credited the tournament championship to the squad’s effort leading up to the match. 

“Our Elite 8 victory is a product of our hard work and preparation,” Gillearn said. 

The Wolverines next match is against Newport Harbor on Oct. 12 at Copses Family Pool.