Team remains undefeated in league

The field hockey team beat Bonita High School in a close match 2-1. The Wolverines are still undefeated in league 8-0.

After facing Chaminade High School on Tuesday, the team got off to a slower start than usual, Penny Juarez ’21 said.

The team was struggling to score because we were struggling with connecting with passes and really working as a team 

The Wolverines struck first with a tap in goal by Juarez with an assist from Fiene Oerlemans ’22. Then, Bonita’s offense surged past the Wolverine defense and responded by tying up the game 1-1 going into halftime.

At half, the team evaluated their shortcomings on offense, Juarez said.

The biggest challenge was probably trying to score after they had scored on us. We were determined to score but we struggled capitalizing in the circle.”

Coach Creznic called two timeouts which lead to two goals by Sam Yeh ’20 and Bella Ganocy ’22 assisted by Rachel Brown ’20 and Ella Ganocy ’22, respectively. By dominating the time of possession on offense, the Wolverines were able to keep Bonita’s offense at bay.

Earlier in the season, the Wolverines won against Bonita at their home field 1-0. After facing them before, Juarez said she expected it to be a tough match up.

“Bonita is a hard team so we knew that it was going to be a tough game,” Juarez said. “We had played them away on their field which was grass which was a huge disadvantage. They have some really skilled and fast players and we had to make sure we were watching them.”

The next game will be against Glendora High School on Monday, which will also be the Wolverine’s senior night.