Community Council organizes drive-in to raise funds for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Brendan Kang ’20, Tali Tufeld ’20 and Kate Konvitz ’20 lie in the back of a car while watching “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” in the senior lot Thursday. Community Council hosted the drive-in movie after a month of planning, and donated the profits to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Credit: Ethan Lachman/Chronicle

To raise money for the Make-a-Wish Foundation, Community Council hosted its first ever drive-in movie, where it screened “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” in the senior parking lot Nov. 7.

Students had the option of parking their cars in spots sold for $40 each or sitting in individual seats for $15. Community Council projected the movie on the wall of Hamilton gym and used radio channel 88.1 FM so students could tune into the movie in their cars.

Students attend drive-in to raise money for Make-A-Wish

The council utilized the event to involve the student body more in their community-improving activities, Community Council member Carli Cooperstein ’20 said.

“Our goal was really to bring together the community in a really fun event to benefit Make-A-Wish,” Cooperstein said. “So we wanted to help them in a way that sort of integrated community and included everyone in a style of event we’ve been trying to put on for so long.”

Cooperstein said she was happy with the turnout of the event.

“Overall, it was largely a success,” Cooperstein said. “We were so glad we had such high turnout and so many people seemed like they had such a fun time.”

Community Council plans to hold another drive-in

Despite the event’s success, Community Council member Grant Keller ’21 said he still would like to make adjustments in the future.

“I would’ve changed the system we used for handing out food,” Keller said. “It was easily the most rushed aspect of the event, as we handed out numbers, but we had no idea where those numbers were.”

Roan Yeh ’21 said he enjoyed the movie and was happy to contribute to the greater cause.

“I think it’s really touching for the kids, and it’s nice to see Make-A-Wish in action,” Yeh said. “I saw [Henry Reed] coming to school last year, and it’s really nice to give a kid a happy moment.”