Volleyball Coach resigns from post

Jesse Quiroz resigned as the girls’ volleyball head coach Feb. 1 after nearly two decades.
    Quiroz will remain a  member of the faculty as a physical education teachers.

Quiroz led the Wolverines to seven CIF Southern Section titles and three Div. III state championships.
    He was selected the CIF Southern Section Div. III Coach of the Year four times.

“He is a living legend,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said. “He was as closely identified with the volleyball program as Rich Corso was with water polo program.”

The Los Angeles Daily News reported Jan. 30 that Quiroz might have been fired.

Quiroz announced his resignation on Feb. 1 at a meeting before school with his team.

“He stepped down under his own power,” Athletic Director in charge of communications Terrance Barnum, told the Daily News.

“He was not fired, and he was not asked to resign,” he said.

“It’s time for me to make some changes in how I spend my time,” Quiroz told the Daily News. “I’ve enjoyed a terrific run and want to thank the players and colleagues who made the journey the joy that it was.”

Although no successor to Quiroz has been named yet, the athletic department has begun its search for a new coach. Barzdukas said that candidates within the school’s volleyball program and outside candidates will be looked at.

“It is pretty unbelievable the caliber of coaches that have shown interest,” Barzdukas said.