Girls’ basketball wins close league game against Chaminade

Guard Melissa Zozulenko ’21 dribbles the ball up the court in a 75-31 win against La Canada High School in the Brentwood Invitational. Zozulenko made the game-winning free throw for the Wolverines against Chaminade High School

The girls team defeated Chaminade High School 63-62 on Jan. 16 at Taper Gymnasium, bringing their overall league record to 3-0. 

After defeating Notre Dame Academy 65-15 Jan. 7, the squad played Mater Dei High School in a non-league match Jan. 11. Despite outscoring the Monarchs by 10 points in the third quarter, the Wolverines ultimately lost the match 59-55. However, the squad bounced back, defeating Alemany High School 71-45 in a road game on Jan. 14. Guard Kimiko Katzaroff ’21 finished with 18 points and six assists for the Wolverines. 

In the game, the squad scored 18 points in the first quarter, but found themselves down 21-18 to the Eagles. However, the squad outscored the Eagles by 6 points in the second quarter and were up 34-31. The Eagles eventually rallied, outscoring the Wolverines by 8 points in the third quarter. With 8.9 seconds left in the game, the Wolverines found themselves down 62-61. Guard Melissa Zozulenko ’21 then got fouled after driving into the paint, giving her a chance to win the game. Zozulenko made both free throws, winning the game for the Wolverines. Zozulenko and forward Kiki Iriafen ’21 both finished with 28 points in the game.

Katzaroff described the keys for the squad in this close win.

“Chaminade Is one of our biggest rivals, so we came ready to play and didn’t let their size or skill intimidate us,” Katzaroff said. “Once again, we worked as a team and focused on the small yet very impactful things like boxing out.”

The team plays their next game on the road against Marlborough High School Jan. 23.