Cross country teams plan to win state

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams traveled to Big Bear for a week of intense training in preparation for their upcoming seasons.  Seven girls and 21 boys attended the weeklong camp from Aug. 19 to 24. 

“We had a great time, really got closer as a team, and also had some great training sessions,”  team co-captain Matthew Krumpe ‘08 said.  Members of the teams that were able to attend practiced twice a day in the high altitude.

The players hope the trip to Big Bear, the first in team history, will lead to another successful season for the Wolverines.  Last year, the boys’ squad missed qualifying for state finals by 10 seconds.

“The expectation for this year is we believe there is a good chance to go all the way,” boys’ Head
Coach Geoff Bird said.

Girls’ coach Kim Hieatt hopes her team can reach that level alongside the boys. The trip to Big Bear was part of a rigorous off-season training program.  The teams’ goals are to physically toughen themselves and become mentally stronger, as well as to emphasize functioning as a team throughout the races. Hieatt stresses the mental aspect of cross country. 

“Since running a race is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical, we could always use more mental practice before a big race,” she said.

The teams also lost key seniors from last year, including Jerry Porter ’07 and Janise On ‘07. They have been replaced by newcomers such as David Abergel ’11, who recorded excellent times at the Junior Olympics. The boys’ team hopes that its depth will allow them to win matches against tough opponents such as Loyola. 

Fourteen players run for varsity alone, but the JV team can be called upon to supply fresh legs at any time. The girls’ toughest competition will be Flintridge Sacred Heart and Louisville.