Chaminade foil tournament marks start of fencing season

The fencing team will begin its campaign to win its sixth consecutive league championship on Oct. 13.  This date marks the Southern California Scholastic Fencing League’s first tournament of the season, an individual foil event, at Chaminade High School.

Eric Arzoian ’09, the team’s top individual saber, believes his team is in good shape to repeat last year’s season.

“We want to keep hold of the trophy and win league,” he said. “I’m pretty confident in our team, and I think we can do it again.”

Arzoian is not just a standout player at school. He has fenced around the world, recently participating in tournaments in Poland and Venezuala. In his 2006 trip to Poland, Arzoian competed in the World Cup and finished in 10th place in the 16 and under division.

Michael Raynis ’10 and Carter Chang ’08 are considered the team’s top individual male epées this season by others on the team.

Chang is spending his second season as one of the captains of that epée teams.

“This season we want to focus on individual technique and everyone’s mindset,” Chang said. “As a captain, I have to make sure everyone is improving and keep people motivated.”

Raynis credited epée co-captain Katie Barcay ’08 and Courtney Kelly ’11 as the top individual girls’ epées.

The squad, which practices three days a week, is led by head coach Ted Katzoff and assistant coach Al Carter.

“There are a lot more players on the team this year,” Raynis said. “This will help us, because the more players there are, the more chances there are to win points for the school team.”

The league title at the end of the year is awarded to the team with the most points accumulated in competitions over the course of the season.

“We didn’t do as well in some of the events last year like the team epée competition,” Raynis said. “This year I think it is very possible that we’ll win this year.”