Bio-diesel car owner stresses fuel efficiency to students

Russ Evans, owner of a bio-diesel fueled car, spoke to students about fuel and energy conservation Monday during activities period. A self-proclaimed problem solver, he discussed methods of conservation and alternative fuel options to alleviate high gas prices.

“I’m just someone who likes to find answers to problems, and I had a problem with rising fuel costs,” Evans said.

Evans outlined his “Four Stages of Gas Prices:” denial, outrage, acceptance and finally amnesia. Evans focused his discussion around the acceptance stage, in which, ideally, consumers look to improve the gas price situation.

Walking, bike-riding and use of public transportation as ways to conserve gas, and buying more fuel efficient cars is also a practical option, Evans said.

Still, Evans stressed alternative fuels as the best way to reduce gasoline consumption and save money, adding that the availability of gasoline is quickly fading.

“China’s population is starting to get money, and they’re going to want cars. India’s demand is growing like crazy. Oil is finite. It’s going to run out in 30 or 40 years,” he said.

Evans listed both ethanol and bio-diesel fuel as options, but believes bio-diesel is the best bet because of the limited access to ethanol outside of the Midwest. As of right now, diesel cars have been outlawed in California due to nitrogen oxide emission, but Evans believes that will change shortly.

“At the present time, we’re a little bit limited with what we can do with alternative fuels, but the best solution is using bio-diesel fuel,” he said. “By next year, you’ll start seeing diesel cars in the showcases.”