Wolverines bounce back in 35-0 romp

Coming off of a loss to Carson last week, the Wolverines bounced back with a 35-0 victory against the La Cañada Spartans on Friday.

“After the mistakes we made last week, we needed a strong finish before league,” Coach Vic Eumont said. “We started fast and finished strong in the first half.”

The offense got off to a quick start when within the first minute of the game, receiver Jackson Ligouri ’10 broke free for a 68 yard touchdown after a short pass from Sean Berman ’09.

On the next offensive drive, the Wolverines moved the ball downfield and scored on a five-yard rushing touchdown by Tehron O’Neal ’09. O’Neal ran for two more touchdowns in the second quarter, giving him nine rushing touchdowns on the season.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kimo Thorpe ’09 and Shawn Fateh ’09 each recovered a fumble. Thorpe was able to return the fumble for a touchdown.

“We came out from the first play at let them know who was gonna win this game,” Thorpe said. Thorpe’s touchdown was the first defensive touchdown of the season for the Wolverines.

Also on defense, Andy Firestone ’08 intercepted two passes, and Ross Gruber ’08 and Jakarri Hamlin ’08 sacked Spartans’ quarterback Duke McAffrey five times total.

Under Eumont’s orders, the Wolverines ran out the clock in the second half. After pulling ahead to a comfortable lead, they controlled the ball and made the last two quarters pass quickly.

“Watching the film we thought we could control the game,” Eumont said. “We executed on all sides of the ball. When you get all of that done, it’s a good win.”

The Wolverines now prepare for league play. According to Eumont, the team faces a tough slew of upcoming games as the Del Rey League hosts formidable opponents in St. Bernard, Cathedral, and Serra.

“It’s a tough start. It’s gonna be a good league,” he said. “But that’s the fun part of it.”

The Wolverines play at St. Bernard next week in Playa Del Rey.