Asisteen volunteers plan charity concert

By Emily Friedman

Two hundred high school students poured into the Whiskey A-Go-Go on Friday Oct. 11 to see Chomp Mountain, Din Caliber and Optimus perform for the Assisteen charity concert co-chaired by Allie Farfel ’09 and Ally Kalt ’09.

The Assisteens is an auxiliary of the Assistance League of Southern California. It is an organization for high school girls, involving them in many different community service activities such as garage sales, Thanksgiving parties, and fashion shows. The proceeds from the events go towards services dedicated to helping children, families, and seniors.

Both Farfel and Kalt have been members of Assisteens since ninth grade.
    Farfel and Kalt, along with their friend Dani Goodman of Oakwood School planned the concert. Planning involved researching high school bands, finding out who was interested, and then coordinating the bands.

“The most difficult part of planning the concert was definitely coordinating and choosing the bands,”  Kalt said. “Keeping in contact with the bands was difficult especially since I was away for over a month this summer and we still didn’t have the three bands we wanted” 

“Our moms were involved and they dealt with the booking manager at the Whiskey A Go Go,” said Farfel, “and we deal with the bands and the kids attending.”
    Farfel and Kalt promoted the concert by making a Facebook group and handing out fliers at various private schools.

Tickets were sold for $15 from any member of the Assiteens and $16 at the door. There was also a raffle with tickets sold for $1 each. Prizes ranged from gift certificates to Jamba Juice, Starbucks and iTunes to two lessons with a celebrity DJ.
    The proceeds, along with money raised from other Asissteen events, will be sent to the different organizations of the Assistance League of Southern California, focusing the money on the children’s club and the elderly.

“I’m really happy with how the concert turned out,” Kalt said. “Because we got an early start and planned most of the concert in the beginning of summer, the bands had a lot of time to practice and prepare for the show.  All of the bands were great on stage and really knew how to perform.”