Mission League title streak ends as Chaminade drops girls’ tennis

For the first time in a decade, the girls’ tennis team left the regular season without capturing the Mission League Title.

The squad suffered two losses to Chaminade, ceding their crown to the Eagles in the process. The team finished 8-8 overall, and came second in league with an 8-2 record.

The turning point in the match came when co-captain Danielle Kolin ’08 injured herself. During her doubles match with partner Katherine Treuer ’08, Kolin rolled her ankle on a serve against Chaminade’s number one doubles team.

The score at the time was 5-5, and the pair would go on to lose 7-5.

“I feel like if I hadn’t [hurt my ankle], I could’ve brought the team to victory,” Kolin said.

“It would have been tighter in the match if we got that win,” Head Coach Chris Simpson said.

The loss ended one of the longest title runs in school history. After being winless in non-league play, the team roared back in Mission League competition, only to fall at the end.

Simpson said that he along with his players was a little disappointed with the loss. He said that winning the title in the past was no easy task and that it was an impressive run while it lasted.

“It was probably the best run in girls’ high school tennis,” he said. “We’ve always been the dominant program.”

The squad still qualifies for CIF playoffs and is allowed to send two doubles  pairs and two singles players. Caroline Richman ’09 and Ally Kalt ’09 will represent as singles, while the tandems of Cassidy Horn ’08 and Nicole Hung ’10, and Sayumi Kobayashi ’09 and Marissa Rosenthal ’10 will be the two doubles pairs.