Boys’, girls’ swimming reach playoffs

After strong performances during the regular season, both the boys’ and girls’ swimming and diving teams continued their success in CIF playoffs. 
The girls tied for a share of the Mission League title with Flintridge Sacred Heart. They posted an 8-0-1 record overall and a 4-0-1 record in league.  The girls finished eighth overall in CIF Division II, their best showing since 2005. Allison Merz ’10, Maddie Sprung-Keyser ’09, Alex Edel ’10 and Cathryn Quinn ’08 all qualified for two relays and at least one individual event. 
Merz and Sprung-Keyser both reached CIF Masters for their individual events.  Two relay teams also made it to Masters, and the 200-meter individual medley relay squad received All-American consideration. 

“It was a fantastic season,” Sprung-Keyser said.  “Everyone improved a lot and dropped their times.”

The team was heavily made up of underclassmen, which the players believe gives them a great chance to continue competing at a high level next season even though the team is moving up from Division II to Division I. 

“Moving up a division will be a challenge,” Sprung-Keyser said.

The boys’ squad’s only loss of the season was on the road against eventual Mission League champion Loyola.  They finished with a 3-1 league record and posted a 7-1 overall record.  The team achieved its highest ranking in recent years despite failing to win league.  Max Eliot ’09 and Michael Hartwick ’09 won individual league championships.

Eight swimmers reached CIF playoffs.  Five swimmers made it to CIF Masters, and one of the relay teams broke a school record time. 

“I think our season went really well,” Wesley Yip ’08 said.  “Even when we lost to Loyola, everyone swam their personal best times.” 

The boys’ team is also moving up from Division II to Division I, but half of the top swimmers were departing seniors such as Billy Evashwick ’08. The players know the losses will make next year more challenging.  Still, there are several underclassmen who are ready to assume leadership positions on the team such as Eliot, Hartwick and James McNamara ’10. 

“I’m confident in this team for next year,” Yip said.  “There are a lot of fast swimmers from this year’s team who will still be here, and there are plenty of strong swimmers who are ready to step up.”