8 reach CIF track finals, sophomore reaches state

Sydney Haydel ’10 will participate in the state preliminaries for the shot put event at Cerritos College next Friday. She qualified for the state playoffs after tossing a distance of 42’ 1 3/4” at the California Masters meet last Friday, which is the third of five events that culminate in the state finals.

Haydel came in third place at the Masters, breaking the school record for the shot put for the third time. She is the first female shot put thrower to ever qualify for the state playoffs from the school and is the first Harvard-Westlake girl to ever break the 40-foot barrier.
Haydel was pleased with the team’s season overall.

“It was a good season,” she said.   “I felt like we were a family and we really had a lot of fun.  I felt that we did a good job this year and had accomplished a lot.”

She also mentioned it was hard at times to get all the way to the Masters when playing two sports, but said the Athletics Department has been great in supporting her through basketball as well as track.

The Wolverine track squad, coached by physical education teacher Jonas Koolsbergen, ended their season with an overall record of 7-3, and a solid 3-3 record in the challenging and sometimes brutal Mission League, which includes state powerhouses Notre Dame and Crespi.
Though Haydel remains the headliner, the rest of the girls’  track and field team fared well in the CIF finals.

The girls’ 4×400 relay team, which consisted of runners Laura Meadors ’08, Lauren Hansson ’11, K.C. Cord ’11 and Jennie Porter ’10, finished in fourth place in their Division III section race and achieved a school record time of 3:56.61 at Mount San Antonio College.

“We were expecting to come in third or fourth place, so I was pretty happy.  Everyone ran under 60 seconds during the race which was really good,” Meadors said. 

Zaakirah Daniels ’10 came in seventh place in the CIF finals as she ran the 100 meter in 15.7 seconds.

Chris Cheng ’09 came in eighth in the 800 meter race as he ran a 1:59.07 time.

Kelsey Geiser ’09 finished in ninth place in the CIF finals after being hampered by constant foul calls.

Meadors also placed ninth in the 800 meter due to fatigue and overwhelming heat. 

The girls’ 4×100 relay team could not take advantage of the sudden disqualification of  the opposing Summit High School during the finals because of a calf injury to Nicole Sands ’09.
Captain Matthew Krumpe ’08, who runs the 800 meter event, has finished his last year on the team.

“I wish I could have done more to make the team better or more competitive with the teams from Crespi and Notre Dame, but the competition was so intense in the Mission League that I am a little relieved to not have to face teams like Notre Dame anymore,” he said.