Student films to be screened in Florida

By Catherine Wang

Twenty Israeli students will visit Harvard-Westlake upper school campus on Dec. 3 as part of a two-week exploration of the Jewish community of Los Angeles.

The Israeli teens will arrive in Los Angeles Nov. 23 as a part of an exchange with the New Community Jewish High School. They will stay with students who they will in turn host in Tel Aviv in the spring. Their hosts will expose them to Jewish life in Los Angeles, especially in the context of Los Angeles’ broader diversity and dynamics, Rabbi Emily Feigenson said.

The Israeli teens’ home school is Gymnasia Herzliya, the first Hebrew school in pre-statehood Israel. Established in Jaffa in 1905, the school was moved to Tel Aviv in 1910. The Gymnasia has since been a mainstay of the modern Zionist cultural revival, graduating numerous key figures in Israeli history.

The Israeli teens will visit various Jewish institutions, such as the American Jewish Day School, the Skirball Museum, the Federation and the Museum of Tolerance.

The Israeli teens will also visit Harvard-Westlake and Chaminade Catholic High School, so that they can see how Jewish students interact in a community with individuals of different denominations.

The Israeli teens will visit the Watts, Our Lady of Angeles, the Los Angeles Roman Catholic cathedral, Skid Row, Disney Hall, Hollywood, the Getty Museum, Venice canals, and the beach.