CSUN annual show exhibits student art

At the school studio, Madeline Lear ’13 clicked away as the bassist “played” a rose as if it were a guitar. After choosing from her many photographs and polishing them on Photoshop, she completed her project for Photography III, which was chosen last week to be featured in an exhibit at the California State University Northridge in their main galleries.
Along with Lear’s photograph, 5 other student works were selected to be featured by visual arts teachers Kevin O’Malley, Art Tobias and Dylan Palmer, including a glass sculpture by Maya Broder ’13.
“[Working on the piece] was a tedious and meticulous process of cutting glass and placing them one by one, which took such a long time,” Broder ’13 said. “But I was so proud of it when I finished, and it feels rewarding to have it be featured in CSUN.”
Broder’s piece will be part of the 16th Annual High School Art Invitational Exhibition, which features works from 39 schools from Jan. 7 to 26.
Pieces by six students, including Anne Liu ’13, Jun Lee ’13, Seana Moon-White ’13 and Xenia Viragh ’15, were selected to be displayed.
“This is a terrific community event and we are so grateful to CSUN for their generosity all these years,” O’Malley said. “As for how I feel, I am very proud of my kids. Harvard-Westlake students always contribute real standout work to this exhibition.”