Art for the Heart raises thousands for heart charity

By Carly Radist

Art for the Heart, a charity event held in Feldman-Horn Gallery on March 8, will be donating more than $7,000 of proceeds to the American Heart Association for research and development. The event was hosted by Catie Yagher ’10, Olivia Van Iderstine ’10, and Jacqi Lee ’10 along with many others who helped set up and organize the event.

They sold approximately $3,000 worth of t-shirts and about $4,000 worth of art donated by students and faculty as well as two donations from artist David Garibaldi.

Van Iderstine said that two of the most popular pieces were the two paintings of Kanye West and Albert Einstein donated by Garibaldi.

“The Kanye West and Albert Einstein were the biggest pieces in the room, and everyone loved them,” Van Iderstine said.

The gallery was filled with Harvard-Westlake students and their families as well as friends of families.

“More people showed up than we expected,” Yagher said.

Van Iderstine said that almost every piece of art on the wall was bought. The unsold artwork will be auctioned on the HW X-change later this year.

“The turnout was great,” Van Iderstine said. “Everyone brought their family and friends, and it was so exciting seeing [Head of Upper School Harry] Salamandra in an Art for the Heart t-shirt.”

Both Van Iderstine and Yagher are excited for future Art for the Heart events.

“We never could have predicted the tremendous support we got from parents, students, and faculty,” Van Iderstine said. “Heart disease for Catie and me is one that hits close to home, and it was great to combine two passions of ours to help people.”