Lacrosse falls in first round of playoffs

By Jack Davis andSeth Goldman

After a late season push put it in the playoffs, the lacrosse team’s season ended with a 9-7 loss to Palos Verdes in the first round. After starting the season 4-1, the Wolverines faltered, dropping four out of five games, including a crucial league loss to rival Loyola. Needing a strong finish to make the playoffs, the team won three consecutive games to secure the first CIF playoff appearance in school history.

The team’s three-game winning streak began with a 9-3 victory over Crespi at Ted Slavin field, a victory which gave the Wolverines confidence and broke a two-game losing streak.

“That win gave us confidence that we could turn it around,” Riley Mate ’10 said. “You could see an immediate difference in our play after that game.”

The Wolverines then defeated Chaminade on the raod 6-5, before playing Chaminade again in the second to last game of the regular season.

During that game, which was also Senior Night, the Wolverines were tied 7-7 in the last minute of the game. With the game seemingly destined for overtime, Greg Myerson ’09 fired a shot past the Chaminade goalie with 15 seconds left to give the Wolverines an 8-7 lead and send the team to the playoffs.

Defense was a calling card for the Wolverines during their three-game winning streak that put them in the playoffs, as they allowed only 15 goals in three games, averaging out to just five goals allowed per game. When the Wolverines lost four out of five, they allowed 52 goals in five games, averaging out to over ten goals allowed per game.

After the climactic victory over Chaminade, the Wolverines lost a meaningless road game to Crespi, 5-8, to close out the regular season. They finished the season with a final record of 8-6 overall and a 5-3 record in Mission League play.

Myerson was one of three players, along with Conor O’Toole ’10 and Barrett Meister ’10, to be named to the first team all-Mission League.

“I didn’t know it was going to happen,” Myerson said. “I was really proud.”

Cory Wizenberg ’11, Joey Edwards ’10 and Riley Mate ’10 were named to the second team.

“We played well all season, especially at the end and it sucks that the season is over,” Kimo Thorpe ’09 said. “I’m going to miss the guys.”