Girls’ tennis beats rival Chaminade during win streak

By Ashley Khakshouri

After losing their opening match against Peninsula, the girls’ varsity tennis team has rebounded with four straight victories, including a 10-8 league win against Chaminade. Last year, the Wolverines tied with Chaminade for the Mission League Championship. The squad hopes to be the sole league winner this year.

“Chaminade was the biggest match of the season and at this point in the season we feel more prepared than we did last year since we have a team with a lot of depth and talent,” Alanna Klein ’11 said.

Following the match against Chaminade, the team defeated Louisville 15-3, a victory aided by some of the team’s younger players. The varsity squad has a freshman and two sophomores, Savannah de Montesquiou ’13 Kei Goldberg and Taylor Coon ’12.

“I think we will win league as long as we continue playing like we have the past couple of weeks,” captain Nicole Hung ’10 said. “I’m really proud of how people have stepped up in terms of their level of play. Also players now realize their roles on the team and are embracing them more. I think we are just getting more experience and that is what’s making the big difference.”

“Everyone is mentally and physically prepared for the season and we’re excited to hold our title as mission league champions,” Klein said.

“This puts us in a good position to win the title this season, “said Head Coach Chris Simpson.

The team will play another match against Chaminade on Oct. 22 and start individual league playoffs on Nov. 6.

“This year, we’re definitely going to win Mission League,” co-captain Marissa Rosenthal ’10 said. “Our doubles teams are solid and strong, and our singles are constantly improving with each match. This year we have focused on out strengths, and we have been very successful.”