Returning injured runners boost cross country team

By Jonah Rosenbaum

David Abergel ’11 finished first and Amy Weissenbach ’12, placed second, to lead the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams to third and fifth place finishes respectively at the Staub invitational on October 3.

“The whole team ran really well,” said Chris Vanderschans ’10 who was sidelined with an injury. David ran one of his best races of the year, and Aaron De Toledo ’12 showed how much he has improved.

“He was on the cusp of scoring (only the top five runner’s scores count) going into the season, and he gave us some much needed depth with some of our injuries,” Vanderschans said.

Abergel said the team has performed well in its last two races, and pointed to the upcoming Mt. Sac Invitational, which takes place on October 23, as one of the team’s key remaining races.

“It’s where CIF is going to be run, so we are hoping to see a good performance on the course to get us ready,” Abergel said.

The girls’ team is currently ranked second in their division, and fourth statewide. Despite their high ranking, Varsity runner Bridget Golob ’10 said the team will be bolstered by the return of several key runners from injury.

“Two of our fastest runners, Nikki Goren ’12 and Caitlin Yee ’13 are coming back, and that should make us even stronger,” Golob said.