Sophomore to dance in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

By Jordan Freisleben

A sophomore will be one of 50 dancers featured in the finale of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday.

Rebecca Hutman ’12 and the other dancers ranging from ages 10-18 will be performing at the end of the parade during the unveiling of the new Santa Claus float.

Hutman first heard of the opportunity through Stagedoor Manor, a performing arts camp that she went to over the summer.  In late August, all participants in camp were notified to apply for the opportunity to dance in the parade.

“To be honest, what first jumped out at me [about dancing in the parade] was that I just came home from camp and was missing all of my East Coast camp friends,” she said.  “Then the opportunity came to see them again sooner than waiting until the next summer.”

Hutman arrived in New York on Saturday evening in order to participate in eight hour long rehearsals in the days leading up to the parade. The dancing will be contemporary style, incorporating elements of hip-hop.

“At first it was kind of a no-brainer for me, but I started to learn more and more about the parade and its significance,” she said. “I’d always known that it was important to other people, but when I was telling people about my involvement in it, so many people were saying ‘I’ve grown up on this and it was a significant part of my childhood’ and that it marked Thanksgiving for them.”