Two freshmen form singing group based on TV show ‘Glee’

By Anna Etra

Inspired in part by “Glee,” the new Fox television show, Bronty O’Leary ’13 and Megan Ward ’13 started a middle school Glee Club.

A Glee Club is a group of people who get together to sing short songs. In the television show, unlikely students gather to perform modern hit songs a capella.

The group has four faculty sponsors: middle school Performing Arts Department Head Nina Burtchaell, English teacher Steven Chae, Math teacher Regan Galvan and English and French teacher Claire Pasternack.

“We decided to make a Glee Club because we thought it would be great to incorporate a fun atmosphere into the stress that school brings, where anyone could come along and have fun singing songs that are popular among teenagers,” O’Leary said.

After the first meeting, the club consisted of 50 members.

Each Thursday at break, the club members break into four sections: Sopranos, Alto, Tenor and Bass.

For their first song, just like the television show, the Glee Club is singing “Don’t Stop Believin,’” by Journey.

Ward has previous experience in show choirs, and wanted the middle school “to have a fun place for students to sing fun pop songs instead of the usual choral music,” she said.

Eventually, the club hopes to perform publically, but for now they are just practicing.

Ideally, “some eighth graders will continue the club next year, and it will get better and better every year,” Ward said.