Boys’ tennis extends league win streak

By Austin Block

After a slightly rocky start, the boys’ tennis team has built up a five game win streak early in the season. The Wolverines squeaked by Palos Verdes, who they lost to last year 8-10 during the season and then defeated 17-1 in the CIF quarterfinals, on games in its opener and then fell to perennial powerhouse Peninsula 7-11.

Since then, the team hasn’t lost any non-tournament games. It beat San Marino 13-5 and Valencia 12-6 and then began league play with a 13-5 win over Loyola on March 16. It beat Mira Costa 10-8 as part of the Bay Area Classic Tournament and defeated Notre Dame 17-1. The team played its second game of the Bay Area Classic Tournament against Palisades on March 22 and won 12-6.

Last year, the team finished 18-5 overall and won the Mission League title with a 10-0 league record. It advanced to the semifinals of CIF and lost to University High 5-13. The team’s league winning streak currently stands at 106.

The team played in the Dana Hills Tournament on March 19 and March 20 and placed 4th out of 16 teams.

In the semifinals, the Wolverines were down 4-3 to the top seeded team in the tournament going into the last match. Jamie West ’12 won his match to tie the match score but the team lost on games. The Wolverines won three out of the five singles matches but co-team captain and doubles player Kyle Martin-Patterson ’10 was sick and the team won only one doubles match.

The team dedicated the tournament to Brendan Kutler ’10.