Softball wins 4 games, prepares for league play

By Alec Caso

The girls’ softball team hopes to improve their record after a steady start of 4-5 overall. After ending their season last year with an overall record of 11-13 and a season record of 3-7 the team is looking forward to a new season in which they hope to reach CIF.

The team has yet to play its first league game which is coming up Tuesday April 13 against Chaminade. The Wolverines play 10 league games total. They play each of the other five league teams, Notre Dame, Alemany, Flintridge Sacred Heart, Louisville, and Chaminade, twice.

After losing their first game to Marlborough 5-4 on the road on March 8, the Wolverines went on to shut out Glendale 10-0 at their home field at Los Angeles Valley College. The game was called after six innings due to the mercy rule as starting pitcher Christina Cavanaugh ’10 had sixteen strikeouts while shutting out Glendale.

“I think our defensive skills are really great,” Chelsea McMahon ’10 said. “Everybody gives a lot of effort and so obviously we see a lot of results. I think batting offensively is a little harder to just get results with effort. It takes a lot of practice and a lot of experience but we’re getting there.”

The team then lost to San Marino 3-5 on March 11 only to shut out Glendale again 5-0 two days later. In the rematch against Glendale, the Wolverines were once again led by a starting pitcher, as Chloe Pendergast ’13 struck out six as the team completed its second shutout of Glendale in just over a week.

After defeating Glendale, the team then lost to La Canada 11-1 but looked forward to the Lancaster High Desert Tournament to redeem themselves.

They won a solid victory in their first game of the tournament against Oak Hills 4-1. Cavanaugh again starred for the Wolverines on the mound, striking out twelve. However after Cavanaugh’s dominating performance, the team then went on to lose their next two games against Serrano and Sultana 8-1 and 9-7 respectively. It won its final game of the tournament.

“We have a lot of talent on the team this year,” catcher Emilia Louy ’11 said.

“I think for a really young team we’re doing well so far,” McMahon, who plays third base, said. “We have a lot of freshmen and sophomores who haven’t really experienced the varsity level play before so I think all things considered we’re doing well.”