Chicago festival to screen student films

By Justine Goode

A serial killing cooking teacher, a renegade Cupid, a hypercompetitive lemonade stand owner — all these characters and more will be featured in films at the 2010 Cine Youth Festival in Chicago.

Five films made by Harvard-Westlake students will be screened as part of this showcase celebrating filmmakers 20 years old and younger.

Short films made by both current students as well as recent alumni were officially selected to be a part of the festival.

Zelda Wengrod ’13 and Halsey Robertson’s ’13 film “The Cooking Class,” Olivia Chuba’s ’12 “The Stand,” Jake Gutman’s ’10 film “Visibly Impaired” and Phoebe Singer’s ’09 work “Cupidity” will all be featured.

Adam Maltz ’09 and Lucas Casso’s ’09 film “Dem Shoes,” which will also be screened at the festival, was shortlisted for a Music Video Award.

The Cine Youth festival is an off-shoot of the Chicago International Film Festival, where such directors as Martin Scorsese and Mike Leigh made their feature film debuts.

Over the course of the three day festival, the student filmmakers will get the opportunity to attend workshops and discussions at Columbia College Chicago, the “country’s biggest film school.”

“I have been pretty surprised by the response to the movie. I really liked how it turned out, but didn’t know that professionals would really enjoy it this much,” Robertson said.

Robertson’s film “The Cooking Class” (about “an innocent boy, who is tricked by his serial killer cooking teacher”) was created at the Harvard-Westlake film camp last summer, under the instruction of Upper School Visual Arts Department Head Cheri Gaulke.

The 2010 Cine Youth Festival will take place from May 6 to 8.