Girls’ track undefeated so far, boys battle injuries

By Jonah Rosenbaum

The girls’ track and field team currently has an undefeated record including a first place finish at the prestigious Mt. Sac invitational.

The team features two relay teams ranked in the top five nationally, and has also broken ten school records so far this year.

The team consists of Jenny Porter ’10, Cami Chapus ’12, Lauren Hansson ’11 and Amy Weissenbach ’12.

“This season has been amazing so far. It started out in practice with everyone training as hard as they possibly could and it has translated to success during meets,” Bridget Golob ’10 said.

“A lot of the girls on the track team were part of the cross country team that won the state championship so we know how that feels,” Golob said. “It is definitely out there that this team can challenge for a CIF and state title, so that is our goal going forward.”

The league preliminaries for both the boys and girls teams are on Mon. May 3, the finals are on Thurs. May 6, and CIF preliminaries for both teams begin on May 15.

Despite injuries to six distance runners, the boys’ track and field team finished the regular season with a record of 4-2. “Considering what we went through and all the adjustments we have been forced to make, we have done some pretty good, impressive things,” Abergel said. “We did not let the injuries distract us or get us down, we just kept working really hard, stayed focused and it’s resulted in a successful season so far,” Abergel said.

The team also had to adapt to a new assistant coach in Tim Sharpe, who after guiding the girls’ cross country team to a state title earlier this year, joined the coaching staff of the boys’ and girls’ track teams.

“Coach Sharpe has been great. It really has not been much of an adjustment for a lot of us since he coached us in cross country, plus he also coached at Harvard-Westlake a few years ago,” Abergel said. “He knows how everything works at the school and he has done a great job helping us cope with all the injuries and improve every day in practice and run our best in meets.”

With the team finally back to full strength, Abergel has high expectations for the remainder of the season.

“Now that were finally close to being completely healthy I think we can be really competitive for the remainder of the season and for CIF,” Abergel said. “We have a lot of runners who have a chance to qualify for CIF.”