Backtalk with Matthew Bedford

By Ashley Khakshouri

Q: What do you do to prepare for each match mentally and physically?
    A: To prepare for each match I have my iPod and listen to some rap music. I warm up an hour before my race. I do about a mile to a mile and a half and then I’ll stretch for about 30 minutes or so, then I’ll do strides and quick sprints.

Q: What are your strengths and what are some of your weaknesses?
    A: I have a lot of endurance and speed but I’m working on my power and keeping my form. My strengths would be my endurance and speed and in a race I usually have a slow start or it isn’t as good as I’d like it to be so I need to work on that. I need to work on my form and learn pace.

Q: How would you describe the team dynamics on and off the field?
    A: I practice 5-6 days a week. I’ll practice some Saturdays. You come out here and you work hard. We have our easy days and our hard days. From day to day our training changes depending on what our coaches want us to focus on.

Q: What is your most memorable moment running track and field?
    A: In the summer after junior year I did club track and qualified for the Junior Olympics in the 4×400 which is a mile relay race basically. It was really fun. Great learning experience and I look forward to going again this year. It was my second year so I learned a lot.

Q: How does it feel to be a record holder for the school and leader for the state this year?
    A: Feels pretty good. This year that was one of the records I wanted but I still have some work to do. I want to lower it. It’s not where I want it to be but it feels great. At least I know that the work that I’m putting in is paying off but I’m still working at it.

Q: So you have a reputation for being pretty intense in your training. Where does that come from or why is that?
    A: Last year I finished off my season getting last place at CIF Finals. I have to say that felt horrible so basically I went to my sprint coach, Coach Watts, after that season and I told him I wanted to get better. The season was done and school was over. I came back a week later and I continued training and I kept training until a week before school started. I did club track, I competed, I was working out five, six, seven days a week sometimes and I’d practice twice a day on occasion. Track started off as an activity, something that I do for fun. It went from that to being a lifestyle.