County honors girls’ basketball state champions

By Jonah Rosenbaum

After claiming its first state championship in school history, the girls’ basketball team was honored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.

The team left from school at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 18, accompanied by Athletic Director Terry Barnum and President of Harvard-Westlake Thomas Hudnut.

They were honored with scrolls commending them on their season, sat in on an official meeting and were included on the official agenda.

The meeting began with the honoring of the former University of Southern California president, and the USC marching band performed.

When that was over, Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky explained that the girls had won the state championship, and personally congratulated the whole team. The event was covered by several local television stations.

“It was a nice bookend to the season to be recognized by the county and Supervisor Yaroslavsky. The whole team was really honored to be able to participate in this event,” Nicole Hung ’10 said. “It was a great experience. We got to see how a political meeting works and it was really humbling to actually see ourselves on the agenda. Supervisor Yaroslavsky told us how proud we should be of everything we accomplished this season, and it reminded us how special this season was for all of us,” Hung said.

“It was a great experience. We all felt extremely honored to be there, and I think it was something that we will always remember,” Sydney Haydel ’10 said.