Volleyball wins first two games

By Charlton Azuoma

After going 10-0 in league play last year, the girls’ volleyball team beat Santa Barbara in its first game of the season by a score of 3-0, and defeated Redondo Union in its first home game. The Wolverines currently have a 2-0 record.

Their playoff run last season ended in the second round of the CIF Playoffs after a tough game against Long Beach Polytechnic where they lost 3-0.

The team participated in Tournament of Champions at Oxnard High and the Queens Court Tournament in Anaheim.

“We have been working very hard… getting better and becoming a team.  The tournament went very well.  We got to see some good teams and see how we have progressed,” Head Coach Adam Black said.

The team is determined to stay focused this year and to approach every game with the same mentality.

“Every match is big for us, they constantly test our focus and discipline,” Black said. “Everyone has been pitching in on going in the right direction.”

The team has been focusing on strengthening certain points in its play over the summer, but the players do admit that they have things they need to work on.

“We have a really good senior class this year. Our blocking has definitely gotten better and so has our back-row passing,” libero Anne Cohen ’11 said.

“What really hurts us is that we kind of lose focus towards the middle of the game like what happened on Thursday… we let them come back,” opposite hitter Christina Higgins ‘11 said.

The team is stacked with college-bound talent this year as three players on the team have committed to playing for colleges: Christina Higgins (University of California at Berkeley), Danielle Salka (Yale), and Anne Cohen (Johns Hopkins University). The team is very experienced this year. All the players have played together before.

“The group’s been together for a long time so we really trust each other. We play for each other and for the team, instead of ourselves,” libero Katie Price ’11 said.

Their first home game was against a strong Redondo Union team. After a solid start to the game, the team was leading 2-0. Redondo Union fought back and managed to force the game to five sets.

“We started off really strong, but then we kind of let up a bit… the last game was like 15-13, and everyone was like battling… it was really fun,” middle hitter Tiana Woolridge ’11 said.