Prefects alter Spirit Week events, games

By Caitie Benell and Emily Khaykin

Spirit Week is adding new events this year, with two assemblies and four theme days.

Tuesday is Sports Day, where students will be encouraged to wear jerseys and t-shirts of their favorite sports team or Harvard-Westlake team.

On Wednesday students wear their leg warmers and spandex for ’80s day. During break, Matin Pichvai ’11 will be playing ’80s music for everyone to dance to in the quad.

“I’ll be dancing, no doubt about it,” Lida Mazina ’13 said.

While Thursday’s theme is not yet confirmed, the Prefect Council is giving students a chance to share their ideas.

A school-wide survey has been sent out to give students the chance to pick the theme.

On Friday, all sophomores will wear red, juniors will wear white and seniors will wear black.

There will also be an assembly on Friday hosted by the head Fanatics. A basketball team dunk contest, a special performance from the cheerleaders and the introduction of varsity homecoming teams are just a few of the activities planned for Friday’s assembly.

This year, Homecoming will feature additions in food options and game booths.

“The Parents’ Association tried to switch things up for Homecoming this year,” co-chair of the Parents’ Association Homecoming Committee Alicia Levitt (Halle ’12, Oliver ’15) said.

“We still have the whole carnival theme going on with the Ferris wheel and the simulator,” Levitt said, “but we will also be adding a new game called Football Frenzy.”

The Parents’ Association starts planning for Homecoming during the summer. Letters are sent out to parents, asking them to volunteer for various planning committees, Levitt said.

“Each grade has its own set of parent representatives,” she said. “The representatives for each grade picks a couple of games or food items to be featured at Homecoming.”

This year, Levitt plans to have more food trucks come to cater the event.

“Most of the food trucks are well-known and I’m pretty sure students will recognize them,” Levitt said.

“I think students will have a blast,” she said. “I’m looking forward to it.”