Field hockey wins pool at St. Louis tournament

By Chelsey Taylor-Vaughn

The varsity girls’ field hockey team has started off its season with an overall record of 2-1 before its second home game of the year scheduled for Tuesday against Fountain Valley High School.

In its first home game of the season, the field hockey team won 3-1 against Marina High School without any of its regular starters. Courtney Hazy ’11 made all the goals for the team with a “hat trick” meaning she scored three goals.

“We were definitely stronger than this team, it was good preparation for our game against Huntington Beach,” player Rachel Hall ’11 said.

At the team’s second game of the season against Huntington Beach—one of its biggest competitors—the team played got off to a slow start, but played well, Head Coach Erin Creznic said.

“Huntington plays a much faster paced game and the team hasn’t had competition that played at that pace, resulting in a 2-0 loss. It was just a really frustrating game,” Chelsea Edwards ’11 said.

In its game against Edison High School, the team “played beautifully” on the astro turf, which is the ideal surface for field hockey, Creznic said. The team won the game in the second half,during which it scored its only two goals and won the game 2-0.

Adrianna Crovo ’11, a nationally ranked goalie, had hip surgery last Wednesday due to a tear in her cartilage.

“I haven’t been out a month yet and I only plan on being out for another month.” Crovo said.

Kristen Lee ’12 is also out for three to seven weeks with a high sprain.

“For me, it’s just so frustrating to not be able to be with the team and having to watch from the sidelines,” Lee said.

They are both very essential players, Creznic said, but other players are stepping up their game, especially replacement goalie Samantha Gasmer ’13.

Over Labor Day weekend, the team competed in the Gateway Classic field hockey tournament in St Louis, playing against teams from Illinois, Missouri and Wisconsin. The girls field hockey team ended in one of the highest pools of the tournament, playing four games, and tying only once.

“The trip was not only really good bonding time but they played some really good teams,” Creznic said.

The team’s next game is an away game against Westminster High School at Westminster tomorrow.