Boys’ basketball to face test on road against Loyola

By Judd Liebman and Alex Leichenger

Looking to sweep the two-game season series with Mission League rival Loyola on Friday, the boys’ basketball team also will try to preserve an undefeated league record and an 18-game win streak.

The Wolverines grinded out a 50-44 win over Chaminade on Wednesday in a game inconsistent with their recent play. They shot 4-23 from the field in the first half against the Eagles, who are 0-9 in the Mission League.

“Both teams probably played just about as badly as two teams can play,” Head Coach Greg Hilliard said. “We both had to go up after the game and see if there was a lid on the two baskets because the way the ball was bouncing out of the basket for both teams was incredible.”  

Hilliard encouraged his players to view the struggle against Chaminade as an “aberration,” especially after they shot well in an 80-60 win over Santa Monica on Saturday. Against Loyola, the Wolverines hope to again exploit their size mismatch, pounding the ball inside to big men Damiene Cain ’11 and Zena Edosomwan ’12.

“[Loyola is] going to try to be winning the game on the perimeter, and we’re going to try to be winning the game in the paint,” Hilliard said.

The Cubs have momentum coming into the showdown on their home floor. They have not lost in seven games since falling to the Wolverines, including an upset of city power Etiwanda 70-64 on Saturday.

Hilliard is trying to keep his team level-headed going into the Loyola game.

“Our effort will be to be well-prepared, to be as healthy and fit as we can, and to try to…win every four-minute section of that game, and when the game’s over, come out on top,” he said.

In other news, Hilliard revealed that 6’5” forward Derick Newton ’14 will miss the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. Newton has been sidelined for all the Wolverines’ games this year.