Musicians Freestyle at year’s last Vibrato show

By Kelly Ohriner

Four jazz combos including the Advanced Jazz Combo and the Jazz Explorers performed at Vibrato, an Italian restaurant in Bel Air, on Jan. 30.

The show lasted three hours with each combo playing around three to five songs for between 30 and 45 minutes.

“It was really crowded. It was nice to see a lot of people come out to support us,” Jazz Explorers guitarist Maguire Parsons ’11 said.

The combos played a variety of songsincluding tunes written by Miles Davis and John Coltrane. The audience consisted of mostly parents and teachers, as well as other diners and a few students.

“My favorite part of the night was Bella Hicks’ performance on our rendition of Sinatra’s ‘In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.’ She brought down the house,” Advanced Combo guitarist Ben Krause ’11 said.

This is the second time the jazz combos have performed at Vibrato this year. The jazz combos also have an upcoming concert Thursday and Friday nights at 7 p.m. in Rugby Auditorium.

“Having the opportunity to play at these clubs and in these concerts has been instrumental in my development as a drummer and as a musician. I can’t thank Mr. Costantino enough,” Jordan Bryan ’11, a drummer in Jazz Explorers said.