Bible steps down as swim coach

By Anabel Pasarow

Swim coach Darlene Bible announced in a team meeting Monday that assistant swimming coach Cheyne Bloch will assume her position as head coach.

“Bloch is responsible for day-to-day coaching of the swimmers, and Bible is the chief administrator in charge of swimming for the school,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said.

“I’m really sad that Coach Bible won’t be head coach anymore,” four-year varsity swimmer Catherine Wang ’11 said. “She’s been my coach for the past two years, but I am excited to be on Coach Bloch’s team.”

Bible said that over time it had become increasingly hard for her to give all of her time and effort to coaching. She serves as one of three school Athletic Directors, overseeing transportation, uniforms, facilities, contracts for athletic department employees and the department’s financial budget.

“It’s become more and more difficult to give the time I need for full team coaching,” Bible said.

In her long career as a swim coach at Westlake and Harvard-Westlake, Bible coached Dara Torres ’85, who went on to compete in five Olympic games.

“She always gave 100 percent of herself to her swimmers and felt that with the school’s needs it was time for her to hand off her day-to-day swim coach duties to someone else,” Barzdukas said.

The swimming team begins its season March 3.