Girls’ track runs nation’s fastest time at Mt. SAC Relays

By Julius Pak

Only eight days after breaking records in two relay events at the Arcadia Invitational, the girls’ track team ran another relay with the fastest time in the nation, breaking a meet record in the process, at the Mt. San Antonio College Relays this weekend. The team of Yasmin Moreno ’13, Lauren Hansson ’11, Amy Weissenbach ’12 and Cami Chapus ’12 ran a time of 9:03.77 in the Girls’ 4x800m Relay event, breaking the 2003 meet record by more than two seconds, and outrunning Littleton, the second place team, and Long Beach Poly, the previous holders of the meet record, by more than fifteen seconds.

Hansson and Weissenbach, joined by K.C. Cord ’11 and Hilary King ’11, also won the Girls’ 1600m Sprint Medley event by eight seconds. The girls’ team that won the Girls’ Distance Medley event, featuring Chapus, Cord, King and Weissenbach, ran a time almost twenty seconds before any other competitor.  

In the Boys’ 1600 Sprint Medley Relay event, the team consisting of Danilo Dragovic ’11, JJ Jones ’12, Judd Liebman ’12 and Ben Saunders ’11 took fourth place. Kevin On ’11 was supposed to be a part of an all-cross-country team with Liebman, Saunders and David Manahan ’14 that placed tenth in the Boys’ 4x800m Relay. However, On suffered a season-ending calf injury and was replaced by Dragovic.

On the field, Ben Gaylord ’13 tied for first in boys’ pole vault, reaching a height of 13’6”. Elena Crowe ’12 placed seventh in the girls’ division. King took third in girls’ long jump, having jumped 17’2”. Chelsea Edwards ’11 tied for sixth place in the girls’ high jump event.