Choruses to sing at festival

By Cherish Molezion

Bel Canto and Chamber Singers will perform Nov. 8 at the College of the Canyons Invitation Choral Festival.

This is the second consecutive year that Bel Canto and Chamber Singers will have participated.

The festival is sponsored by College of the Canyons in Valencia, and will take place at the C.O.C Performing Arts Center.

“It’s a great, early choral event which enables each choir to gain valuable performance experience in front of other high school choirs,” choral director Rodger Guerrero said.

“This will be our first opportunity to perform as a choir for other schools and prove ourselves,” Chamber Singers Laura Edwards ’13 said. “I’m excited to perform with this special group of people and I definitely know that this is the beginning of a great year of music,”

Bel Canto will sing “Hodie,” “Nobis de Caelo,” “Noel c’est l’amour” and “Deck the Halls.” Chamber Singers will perform “Angelus ad pastores ait,” “Deo Gracias,” “The Night He Was Born” and “Festejo de Navidad.”

Two of the Canyons choirs, Chamber Singers and Women’s Ensemble, will be performing. Other high school choirs include Royal High School, Glendale Adventist Academy, Burroughs High School, Glendale High School, La Cañada High School, Newberry Park High School and Santa Monica High School will perform.

“It’s a great opportunity to see college choirs and other high school choirs,” Bel Canto singer Cassandra Martinez ’13 said. “We can also see the similarities and differences between the choirs, so we’ll be able to appreciate the hard work that goes into becoming successful and see the small things that really make a difference. We’ll find what we need to improve on.”