Professional golf coach to head program

By Charlton Azuoma

Former assistant golf coach at the University of California, Los Angeles Tony Kewalramani will coach the boys’ varsity golf team.

Kewalramani replaces Scott Wood ’88, who resigned after leading the Wolverines to a 6-6

season last year. After his six-year career at Harvard-Westlake, Wood became an investment banker at Merrill Lynch.

“This is an awesome opportunity for me,” Kewalramani said. “I love the game of golf, and I look forward to working with the exceptional student-athletes at Harvard-Westlake.”

Kewalramani has coached established professional golfers including Anthony Kim, Kevin Na and Michele Wie. The specialist coached the professionals in swing technique, short game and mental game.

As a UCLA assistant, Kewalramani helped coach the women’s team to the NCAA championship in his three year tenure with the team.

“Tony is a true teacher,” Head of Athletics Audrius Barzdukas said. “He uses the game of golf to teach valuable life lessons. He’s a perfect fit for our school and golf program. Under Tony’s leadership, we expect the golf program to excel.”

Texas A&M commit Charlie Benell ’12 will captain the team, and younger talents Bakari Bolden ’14 and Tyler Tsay ’15 are also established players with outside tournament success on various junior tours.

Benell, who has known Kewalramani for a couple of years, is excited that he is joining the administration.

“He’s the best,” Benell said. “He has helped me with my putting for a few years and is going to be a great asset to the team this year.”

This will be Kewalramani’s first time coaching a high school team, but the established coach has worked with high school golfers individually for years at Moorpark Country Club.

“It’s so much fun working with golfers at this age,” Kewalramani added. “I look forward to teaching our team to play with confidence in themselves and one another. That cohesion ultimately leads to team success.”