Girls’ golf enters playoffs after loss

By Austin Lee

The girls’ golf team concluded its regular season with a 237-241 loss to Chaminade, bringing its record to 9-3.

The team competed without Kate Kushi ’14, who was out due to tendinitis and ended up losing with their worst score this season. Co-captain Jessica Wibawa ’13 shot only one over on the par 38 course, for a score of 39, her best thus far on this course.

“We did not play as well as we could have, partly because we were short one of our strong players, Kate Kushi,” Wibawa said. “Overall, I think this season has been great. Even though we lost our last league match, the team got along great, and it was a lot of fun.”

This loss followed a victory over Marymount earlier that week, with a score of 233-260. The team was led by co-captain Amanda Aizuss ’13, who shot 40, or four over par, to win her medalist honors, followed by Maddy Abrahams ’14 and Wibawa, who both shot 43.

“Although our score wasn’t great, it’s a bit high for us, we still won by a lot and people who don’t usually play got a chance to play,” Aizuss said. “I was having issues with my irons going right, but my putting was great, so I managed to make pars without getting on many greens in regulation.”

“Each player has demonstrated a steady progression of improved skills and more clarity on the mental side of the game,” she said.

The team played in league prelims last Monday. Results were not available by press time.